Replacing the Eames Tapered Leg DTW table in 1950, this was the second generation of the DTW, the abbreviated name of the Dining (D) Table (T) in Wood (W). The Eames Circular Wood Leg Table was an entirely different design to its predecessor, the reason we treat it as a separate table as opposed to a generation development. There was also a change of manufacturer as Herman Miller replaced Kerkmann to produce them.
This new version of the DTW changed the visual appearance of the table entirely and brought it into line with the metal leg table (DTM) by utilizing the exact same tops, only changing the bases. This idea of interchanging bases was a constant theme with Eames furniture, prevalent throughout the plywood, fiberglass and Alu group ranges. The earlier DTW had no relative connection to any other designs.
The DTW's legs changed from 90 degree bent plywood forms into a solid circular wooden design that were sleeker, more contemporary and offered greater stability. Although the legs were not folding, like it's DTM sister table, they could be easily removed for stowing. The table came in two size models, the rectangular (Eames DTW-3 table) and the square (Eames DTW-4 table). The square versions of the table were marketed as either small stand alone tables or extensions for the larger rectangular model. As with the DTM, the DTW tops were available in either a natural veneer such as Walnut, Birch or Ash, or plastic coated in white or grey.
The DTW tables were made by Herman Miller until 1957.
|Length||34" (Square) 54" (rectangular)||86.36 or 137.16 cm|
|Top||5 layer plywood veneer of Birch, Oak, Walnut or Ash|
|Coating||Optional plastic Micarta coating in white or grey|
|Legs||Matching or contrasting wood types of tops|
Underside image of a DTW shows the model variant code hand written to the top reverse